Thursday, June 29, 2006

Happy Birthday, Interstate

According to Wikipedia, the U.S. Interstate Highway System was officially created on this date in 1956 by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. You can read all about it HERE.

I worked along Interstate 80 in North Central Illinois for about 10 years. I worked at a gas station and a Hen House gas station/restaurant at exit 45. That was definately one of the most interesting jobs I'll ever have. I always said I was going to write a book. I met a lot of really good people, some not so good people, I had a gun pulled on me, I had several naked women come in, was offered oodles of drugs, was prayed for, yelled at, thanked gratefully, and just about anything else you can imagine.

Some of the people/times I remember: Every year when Harley enthusiasts head out west I always had lots of motorcycles. I had several groups of Hell's Angels stop in. Never had any trouble. I can't remember the guys name, but he was once Jim Croce's drummer, spent the day with me once. He was hitchhiking across America. He left me his sleeping bag, which I still tote around in the trunk of my car. The Second City touring group used to stop in on occasion - not sure if any of the big names were ever with them. Leta Ford stopped in her bus; as well as many other bands - but she was probably the most famous one that I knew of.

Well, I guess that doesn't sound so exciting. I can't think of too much right now. But, it was fun. I kinda feel like I grew up along the interstate highway system... and it's all because of Dwight. Good job, man.

Peace. Revolution.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Ah I would have been quite jealous of you meeting Lita Ford... as a teenager she was my idol, I dyed my hair light blonde to look like her, my nickname in high school was Little Lita! That must have been a fun job! My uncle was a cab driver in Charlotte and Tuscon and he met a lot of people doing that... he hung out with Eddie Van Halen for a whole night once and had no clue who he was until he mentioned him to me and I was so excited and jealous too of course :) My life and kind of music has changed a lot... but my excitement in meeting famous people hasn't. This past fall I was at a Chris Tomlin / Matt Redman concert and got a hug and picture taken with Chris Tomlin! I've also met the band Pillar and Toby Mac! Wow sorry for rambling so much...

dan said...

You can ramble anytime, Little Lita. :) My life and kind of music has changed a lot too. God is good, isn't he? Thanks for sharin'.