Friday, March 14, 2008

Loving the church

I have to admit... while I completely (well, near as I am able) understand where many are coming from when they do it, I struggle reading/hearing about people who don't like the church. And I'm specifically talking about "Christians" who bitch about the church. Much the same way I get real uncomfortable talking to someone ripping on their spouse. That rarely makes me think poorly of the person they are ripping, but moreso of the one speaking. And if someone were to speak poorly of MY spouse to me.... well, I don't know that a punch in the face would be out of the question.

So I want to tip my hat to Milton and Jared (Jared has a nice post about it entitled "Church-Laxity") for pointing me to Roy Ortlund's fine post "What Are We Teaching Our Children?" I like this line:

"If we honor the Groom, we will love the Bride."

To be clear... the Groom is Christ; the Bride is the Church. And I'm not saying that there aren't things *in* the church that need to be changed or questioned. My wife is not perfect either. But I love her, and the truth is... usually there are things about myself that need changed when I get rankled with her about something.

I love my wife, friends. Everything about her. I dearly love the church too. The good, the bad, and the ugly. And I love and want to honor Jesus. I'm not telling anyone what to do, but the truth is... sometimes we lose our way and forget what we're talking about. I wanted to clarify things for myself here.

Peace & blessings.

6 comments:

Jim said...

I read this recently in Hull's book The Complete Book of Discipleship

Someone once asked Eugene Peterson, "What's the single most important act of the Christian that could do the most good for the church in America?" After a thoughtful pause, Peterson answered, "Go to the church nearest your home, shut up, and like it."

dan said...

Jim,
Wow. Great quote! I just started reading this book too. Looks good so far. Thanks!

David Rudel said...

I would disagree with the quote and the sentiment. The "Church" of the quote is the collection of genuine believers in Christ...it need not be well represented by those who self-label as Christians.

Luther certainly was not a fan of the Church in his day...come to think of it Jesus wasn't either.

dan said...

David,
So you're saying Jesus didn't like his followers? I thought we were supposed to love even our enemies. Or did Jesus mean just to love everyone "outside" the church, but not those inside of it?

David Rudel said...

I'm referring to the Church into which Christ was born, Judaism.

And I never said anything about whom we should love. That is a rather unfair piece of rhetorical prestidigitation.

Paul had many critical comments about the churches he wrote to. That didn't mean he did not love them.

A point could be made that we should direct such criticism to the church rather than peripherally to others, but Jesus even does that for purposes of instruction [Mark 10:42]

dan said...

David,
With all due respect, I don't really know what you're talking about. And I have NO idea what "rhetorical prestidigation" is.

I think the point of the linked post, and the quotes, is that many of us would do better to quit our bitchin' and grab ourselves a towel and basin and go wash some feet. So while you are free to disagree, if you're looking for an argument I would prefer you look elsewhere.

Blessings to you.