Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Beating up brian (mclaren)

I'm thinking about beating up Brian McLaren today. He is speaking at son Isaac's school, and I'm planning to head that way shortly. Why I'd like to punch him in the face is because he was there last week for a discussion on politics, and apparently he and the boy had a little disagreement, and Brian was a little ...unkind. I think that odd in light of what the discussion was about, and how he was apparently questioning Isaac's ORTHODOXY of all things. This from the man who wrote the book 'A Generous Orthodoxy'!

Actually, I have no intention of beating up Brian. He and Isaac did have a disagreement, but I don't think it was that big of a deal. I just think it's another case of what happens when we let politics get the best of us. McLaren was on Obama's payroll last week. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I can see how that could cloud his sense of 'orthodoxy.' Even the best of us can become dichotomized at some point. I hear it all the time... "there's a difference between church stuff and real life." Yeah... that's a tempting trap we're all capable of being pulled into.

Oddly enough I read a great piece entitled 'The Lie of Politics' by Isaac's pastor last week. That was something *I* needed to hear. He summed it up nicely at the end...
The truth is that there is no hope in principles or issues. There is no hope in politics, world leaders, policies or government. There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ candidate. There is only the hope of Jesus Christ. The only thing that remains is the grassroots gospel of a new humanity of people loving and serving and giving their lives so that God might increase and be known to others as they do so.

My prayer for myself and my brothers and sisters is that we don’t forget that this political season. In the panic of the economy, the war and our country’s future, I hope that we never let go of the person next to us for the sake of grabbing onto an ideal or a party ticket. It’s only in this way that our light will shine for the next couple months.

So, I'm hoping for a peaceful time with Brian today (and Isaac too). His books have taught me much over the years, and there is much more I need to learn.

Peace out, friends; and in.