Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Holistic prayer

I like this prayer from ch. 7 of Mulholland's 'Invitation To A Journey':
O God of wholeness, when I consider the lack of balance and wholeness in my life, the one-sided spiritualities with which I attempt to appease you, to appear good in the eyes of others, and to please myself, I come face to face with my need for a holistic spiritual life. Help me, I pray, to hunger and thirst for the wholeness you have for me in Christ. Help me to be willing to surrender to you whatever stands in the way of such wholeness.

The author says on p. 64:
I am an INTJ (Jung's patterns for behavior - Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judgmental). That means if there is to be holistic spiritual formation in my life, I need dynamics in my spiritual activities that will nurture the ESFP (Extrovert, Sensing, Feeling, Perceptive) part of me. For me, these become spiritual disciplines, because they are not activities that I would eagerly or naturally fall into.

No comments: