Friday, January 02, 2009

I doubt it's anything new

Some random thoughts for the new year (even though nothing seems any different to me):
  • We saw the movie Doubt yesterday. It was good and really makes you think. Sometimes I just don't feel like thinking though. The most identifiable moment for me was with Meryl Streep at the very end of the movie. That made the whole thing real, to me.
  • I think USC is my new Notre Dame in college football. It used to be that people either LOVED Notre Dame or HATED them. Now I think they get a lot of pitty. But I think USC will be the new team people who don't really like them will love to hate. They seem so stinking cocky. Even though I have heard Pete Carroll is a really nice guy, and I don't really know anything about any of them. It's just the perception I have.
  • I am excited about college basketball, but I hate to say anything because I don't want to jinx it for the Illini. I really like the team this year. I have always been a big fan of Chester Frazier, even when everybody else hated him. He's one of my favorite college basketball players. I would really like to see Mike Tisdale do well too. Just because I like him, and he's a small-town kid from Illinois.
  • I hardly ever read the Out of Ur blog, because seldom does it have anything to do with ministry. To me it's nothing but a place for Christians to argue with one another over things that don't matter. But I did think this post 'The Next BIG Things' was kinda funny.
  • Blogdom in itself seems to have really gone downhill this past year (for me anyhow). I hardly even read what used to be my two top blogs anymore. I mentioned earlier how Jesus Creed threw me off when they moved over to beliefnet. It may be the same content, but I don't like the look, I don't like the hoops you have to jump through, and it just *feels* different. I still look at the titles, but I rarely read any of the posts or comments. Talk Skinny Kiwi is another. Andrew seemed to de-emphasize blogging last year. And, hey, I'm not knocking either of these guys. People can do what they want with their blogs. I'm just lamenting the fact that I feel a bit lost in blogworld. I am also saddened by the death of my denominations blog. There were some good times and some good discussions, but I don't think it's any coincidence that its demise came when it did. A few unkind words from people at the top can go a long way in destroying much more than a damn blog imho.
  • Jane took the Christmas trees down yesterday. They are currently sitting right behind me in the kitchen... all snug in their boxes waiting to be put into storage.
  • A lot of things are on my min' for two thousand and nine. I don't know that there's anything new about that. But you just never know.
  • Whatever.

2 comments:

Jim L said...

Re. Out of Ur, I long ago stopped reading any "professional" Christian blogs for that precise reason. Even the satire Christian blogs (Lark News, Tominthebox, Sacred Sandwich) get their share of arguments going in the comments, as if people go there for humor but then get irate when it is THEIR sacred cow getting poked (there's a thread on The Sacred Sandwich right now where they poked fun at Arminians [like me] and as you can imagine that comment thread has gone downhill pretty fast).

As you say, whatever.

Jim L said...

Oops, that Arminian thread was actually at Tominthebox. :o)

http://tominthebox.blogspot.com/2008/12/belated-christmas-gift-for-our-arminian.html