Friday, March 20, 2009

Reason for denominations

I hadn't checked out Will Willimon's blog in a while, but I recently caught these two posts: Lessons We Have Learned In Leading Transformation, and Lessons We Have Learned In Leading Transformation (continued). They are some of Paul Borden's insights on pastoral leadership and congregational change. I don't know that I agree with everything, but it was helpful, and one in particular that caught my eye was this:
6. There are only two valid reasons for denominations to exist. One is to help congregations transform and the second is to help them reproduce. Denominations play other key managerial and administrative roles. But if the mission is not prominent in terms of how resources are expended in our nation and in nations around the world, then denominations have no right to exist.

No comments: