Saturday, September 19, 2009

I bought a cd

I actually bought a new cd yesterday: The Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks (1964-1971). It's a "greatest hits" double cd, and I think actually does have their best stuff on it. We used to have it on vinyl and it was one of my faves. Though I have to say, the digitally remastered sound on this cd is rather crappy. It lacks power.

One of the best things about the Rolling Stones music - I've always thought - is their intros. How they layer sound in. And the raw power of the guitars.

I was listening to 'classic vinyl' on sirius fm yesterday while jogging on the treadmill and "Gimme Shelter" came on. That's what inspired this purchase. I always thought that was one of their better songs. Though "You Can't Always Get What You Want" ranks right up there for me too. But the Stones put out a lot of crap too. And one of the better laughs Lady Jane and I have had in the last couple years was watching them in Marty Scorcese's film "Shine A Light." Mick is not the same as he used to be. :)

I did not know until yesterday that "Gimme Shelter" was originally "Gimmie Shelter." Somewhere along the line the "i" was dropped. Just in case you were wondering.

2 comments:

patti said...

No one wants to talk about The Rolling Stones? I still listen to them once in a while, especially "Winter" from Goat's Head Soup.

dan said...

Ah, beautiful song (and album). Thanks for mentioning it. Hadn't heard it in a long time.