Friday, October 30, 2009

College basketball preseason polls

Both preseason NCAA Basketball polls have now been released. I'm not much of a predictor, but I thought it would be interesting to look at these later. Some thoughts I do have...
  • I cannot believe 3 people actually gave Kentucky first-place votes in the AP poll. I mean, I just don't think Cali-cheater can make that much difference in one year. Personally, I would like to see them drop completely out of the poll by season's end.
  • I am a little surprised to see so many Big Ten teams. Especially Michigan at 15, and Ohio State 16/17. I'm not real sure about Minnesota either. And, of course, I would like to see Illinois higher than 23/27. This 'could' be a good year for them... but I hate to get my hopes up too high. I'll shoot for the Illini taking Michigan's #15 spot at year's end.
  • I don't have a problem with Kansas being at the top, and it's possible they could run the table. But I think there might be a little too much turmoil on that campus, and I'll go out on a limb and put Texas and Duke in the final game. No reason, really. I would like to see Michigan State there again, but... I can't see it. Now let's get on with the games...
The Top 25 Preseason Coaches Poll:
1. Kansas
2. Michigan State
3. Texas
4. North Carolina
5. Kentucky
6. Villanova
7. Purdue
8. Duke
9. West Virginia
10. Butler
11. Tennessee
12. California
13. Washington
14. Connecticut
15. Michigan
16. Oklahoma
17. Ohio State
18. Minnesota
19. Mississippi State
20. Georgia Tech
21. Georgetown
22. Dayton
23. Louisville
24. Clemson
25. Syracuse

The Top 25 Preseason AP Poll:
1. Kansas
2. Michigan State
3. Texas
4. Kentucky
5. Villanova
6. North Carolina
7. Purdue
8. West Virginia
9. Duke
10. Tennessee
11. Butler
12. Connecticut
13. California
14. Washington
15. Michigan
16. Ohio State
17. Oklahoma
18. Mississippi State
19. Louisville
20. Georgetown
21. Dayton
22. Georgia Tech
23. Illinois
24. Clemson
25. Minnesota

No comments: