Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas eve eve and eve

It's been an interesting Christmas Eve so far. It started on Christmas Eve eve (the day before Christmas Eve; or Dec. 23rd). Just before leaving work something popped up on the bottom of my laptop screen and I didn't think much of it. I clicked the "x" to get rid of it, and it opened a scan screen and showed that something was scanning my computer. I immediately stopped the scan and closed it - thinking something was trying to break into my space. Nothing happened. I was running late, so I just shut down my computer and left for home.

Last night we had our annual family Christmas supper outing. Drew had to work, but Jane, Carrie, Isaac and I had reservations at Baker Street on N. Clinton for 7:15. Isaac and I picked Jane up from work and went to Carrie's and picked her up. None of us had ever been here (and I had never even heard of it). It is in the old UNO's. Wow... a very nice place. Too swanky for me any time other than Christmas Eve. It was hard to find something on the menu under $20. We were led to our table in a back room - which might not have been too bad, but I was stuck looking into a corner of the wall; plus there were only a couple of other tables, and the one right beside us had a really loud-mouthed lady at it. All I could hear was her talking in one ear, and the music blaring too loud in my other ear. But... the food was good, and it was nice to be together with both kids. I do think this was the most I've ever spent on a meal in my life. But it was worth it.

After we ate and dropped Carrie off at her place we headed home. The Illini were playing Missouri in basketball and we got home right about at the 9:30 start time. I wish I hadn't have made it home in time though, as Illinois looked terrible and lost badly.

Last night was the first time in a week that I didn't take any mucinex before going to bed, and I slept great.

When I got up the weather didn't look bad, and I stopped at the office before I went to Tom's to pray with he and Steve. I started up the laptop, but once it was running, every time I tried to open a program it told me the "application could not be executed." I had a dang virus. Merry Christmas Eve. So I shut it down and drove to Toms.

We had a nice prayer time, but while praying we heard someone spinning their wheels outside Tom's office. When we were done we looked and saw a van, just sitting right in the middle of the street and unable to move because of the ice. At some point it had started to rain and there was a sheet of ice on everything. I scraped off my windows and crept homeward. I think I might have gotten up to 30 mph at one point, but made it ok. Eventually it warmed up, and by the time Jane came home at noon it wasn't too bad.

Since then I've been working on zapping this virus from my computer. I was finally able to open the task manager before the virus opened and stop it from the process window. I couldn't get Sypware Doctor to open, but Spy Sweeper did, and it has quarentined 3 viruses. I am hoping that will take care of it, but I'm trying to get Spyware Doctor to work first. We'll see how it goes.

Now the wait is on to see what the roads are like for our Christmas Eve service at 7 pm. I imagine it will be ok, as it's supposed to be somewhat warm (above freezing), and a lady just called and said her son has a salt truck and he will salt the church parking lot. So... we'll see.

Peace out, folks; and in.

No comments: