Monday, March 01, 2010

Isaac at church

[My apologies if this is embarrassing, Isaac]

Son Isaac spoke at our Sunday worship gathering yesterday (for the first time). How much prouder could a father be? He and friend, Steve Sipka, were invited in to tell us about the transitional living home they are starting in Anderson, IN called The Exodus House. They presented a 12-minute video, then each of them talked for a bit. I think it went over quite well. I believe they gathered almost $2,000 yesterday, and hopefully recruited some continuing financial partners too.

As far as watching my son speak in church... I'm not sure if it was like I expected or not. I mean, how could I not feel just as proud as punch; but at the same time, it seemed like the most natural thing in the world. When Isaac was talking it didn't really even seem like he was my son; certainly not my "little boy." It was just like listening to anyone that was interesting and easy to listen to. Both he and Steve seemed very at ease and confident. And I'm sure the boy doesn't want to hear it, but I can still see him preaching and/or teaching someday. It just looked like something he was born to do. Although I realize he will likely be doing that very thing at The Exodus House too, just in a little different manner. So it's all good. All in all it was a very satisfying morning. I wish I could talk him into coming and preaching here every once in awhile though... :)

And how blessed am I? My son spoke at my church yesterday, my son-in-law helped lead the singing, my daughter runs the computer and takes care of things when I'm gone, and my wife does a little bit of everything. I'm thinking it doesn't get much better than this for a poor country preacher like me. :)

I included this picture of the kids and I (Carrie is behind the branch) because if you can see the boots I have on... those are the same exact boots Isaac was wearing yesterday. He "borrowed" them from me a few years ago, and I think he must wear them about all the time. Though the sole is just about gone. so he's going to need a new pair shortly. I bought those boots not long after I got out of high school in 1981 at a Kmart. I don't think they make 'em like that anymore.

No comments: