Tuesday, May 04, 2010

MLI retreat #2 - day 1

I arrived at the lovely Salt Fork State Park Lodge for the second Missional Leadership Initiative retreat Sunday night. Tom and I rode with Steve in his big Buick LaSabre, and I was glad he was driving because it rained almost the whole way. We left at 4 pm and with only a quick stop at a Burger King we arrived at 9 pm. I think it only took Jane and I 4 hours and 15 minutes. Hmm. Anyway, my roommate is sometime commenter here, Jim Wilder. So I checked in, called Jane, got settled into the room, and I slept like a baby all night.

Yesterday morning I got up at 7 and after checking messages I went for a run. I was going to do the treadmill, but it was in use. So I ran outside. I headed down the main road of the lodge. I have no idea how far I went, but I went up and down and around several bends and just went 25 minutes out and turned around at the turtle in the road and headed back. The turtle didn't seem to mind. I also saw a couple deer looking at me as I ran by, and one deer leg laying in the road.

After getting back in 50 minutes I took a shower (which didn't take very well) and went to breakfast. Steve and Tom were just getting done eating, but they stayed and talked while I ate part of my eggs, hash browns, sausage and toast. I only had 2 cups of coffee, and had to go get the second one myself.

After breakfast Steve and Tom wanted to walk around, so we followed a trail down to the boat dock and the cabins. It was nice down by the lake, but I worked up another sweat, so I came back to the room and took another quick shower. Geez, two showers in one morning!

The retreat began with lunch yesterday. This time our meeting room was on the same floor as our lunch was served (4th floor). It was a much nicer room. We began meetings with Reggie McNeal at 1, and went til 4. Then our cohort group met for the first time with all 6 of us. We had supper together as a big group at 6:30, got together again at 7:30, then broke into small groups (different than our cohorts) for a metaphor exercise, and were done at 9 pm. I played some pinball and pacman by myself in the game room, called Jane, and then headed for the room about 10:30. I went to sleep about 11, but woke up about 1 and couldn't sleep. So I am writing this.

All in all it was a nice day, but I miss my sweetie.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: