Thursday, June 03, 2010

I want to ride my bicycle

Well, I didn't really want to ride it; and it wasn't even my bike that I was riding. But I rode Carrie's old bike to Zanesville this morning. We are down to one car again and Jane and I both had early meetings. I was just going to Zanesville, so I didn't think it would be much of a problem to go a mere 5 miles on the bike. Of course, I was going to Steve's, so I needed to take along the supplies we collected for the Hope Closet this month. So I had a backpack full of toothbrushes, toothpaste and deodorant. I think I underestimated just how much stuff we had. I set out about 8:10 and made ok time - though it was pretty darn humid for so early. And, you know, it seemed like I noticed going UP hill several times, but I never did notice going down hill. I pedaled the entire time! Anyway, I made it the 4 miles to Indianapolis Rd, took a left, and headed towards Zanesville. Then, while downshifting, the stinking chain came off. So I had to pull off the road and put it back on. My legs were just a little shaky when I got off, and it took me a sec to balance the backpack. I got the chain back on and made it to Steve's about 8:33. Man, and I was a sweaty pig too. I unloaded the supplies and washed off a bit, then joined he and Tom for our normal Thursday morning chat and prayer time. I sat in a metal chair so I wouldn't get the couch sweaty.

Jane then picked me up at Steve's at 9:45 so I could take her to work (she'd had an early meeting in Markle), then I would have the car to make it to my appointment in Ossian at 11. After dropping Jane off at work I stopped back at Steve's and stuck the bike in the back of the Focus, dropped it off at home, and headed to Ossian. Geezaroo... that bike ride seemed to take more out of me than I thought it would. I suppose it didnt' help to down several cups of hot coffee after working up such a sweat. Anyway, I may try riding to Zanesville again sometime. But next time I won't carry the backpack with me.

No comments: