Monday, November 22, 2010

Out on the weekend

My brain is kind of mush this morning, so I'm just trying to recall what I even did this weekend...

Let's see, on Friday we had the usual date night. Although we went to a restaurant on the north side, up by the mall. We don't usually do that. I think it was Chili's Bar & Grill. We sat in the bar and I actually asked the waitress to change the channel on the tv - because Illinois was playing basketball. I've never been so bold as to ask to have the channel changed in a place before. But there was hardly anyone in there, and they had like 6 tv's all set to different channels. So that was kind of nice: being on a date with my wife AND getting to watch the Illini all at the same time. I had a burger, even though when we went there I had a hankering for a steak.

After eating we went to the indoor mall. I looked at sweater vests. For some reason I've just had this desire to wear them lately. I have 2. Both of them are sort of old. I didn't get any, but I looked awfully hard at a couple.

On Saturday we both worked in the morning, then went to look at a house for the second time in the early afternoon. I think we might put an offer down on it. It's fairly small compared to many we've looked at, but we really like it. Scares the snot out of me.

Saturday evening we then went to Drew Carrie's for a Sunday School party. I'm not in their class, but they are in the class that Jane leads. They had a really good turnout. I think 13 people were there. I think there were 3 of us who were there with spouses but aren't in the class. It was fun. Everyone brought something, and we used Carrie's new panini press. I ate too much though. Their house is really nice for having parties like this. I like how the dining room opens into the living room, so even though people were in 2 different rooms we were still kind of all together. I like their house.

Since they were having the party we had Lady-the-dog stay at our house. We brought her home with us in the afternoon after looking at the house. She then spent the night, and didn't make a peep in her kennel. I felt bad moving her from the couch when we went to bed though, because she looked pretty comfy sprawled across the couch with her head on the pillow. The bad part was when I got up at 5 Sunday morning. I knew she would need to go outside so I got up a little early. But I ended up taking her out 3 times by 6:10. So I was a little irritated with the grand-dog and finally told her she was going to have to wait for grandma to get out of bed when she wanted to go out again. I like dogs, and I like Lady dog, but I have accepted that I am just not a "dog person." None of the dogs we've had were my idea, and were all against my better judgment. That doesn't mean I didn't like them. That's part of the problem: I do, and then I feel bad when I lose my patience with them. Which I do as well. Cats are just so much easier to maintain. I don't know why I feel embarrassed to admit that I am a cat-person and not a dog-person. Or, actually, not having any pets is pretty nice in my opinion. But that's just me.

Anyway, Sunday morning went fine. The music didn't pan out like I thought it would. I don't know what the problem was exactly. I mean, it sounded fine, but I just felt off, myself. And I pretty much completely changed the last couple pages of my sermon on the fly. I hardly ever do that, but it was one of those weeks where I never really got a chance to go back and tweak it, and when I looked at it early Sunday morning it was like, "what in the world was I thinking." So, it was what it was, I guess.

Last night we had our Community Thanksgiving Service at our church as well. There are 6 churches involved; we did the music and one of the Methodist pastors gave the message. We gave up on trying to involve someone from every church years ago. It was nice. The crowd wasn't overly large - probably not even as many as we had by ourselves on Sunday morning - but it still wasn't bad. And everyone sings so well at these community services. I always like hearing everyone sing out really loud. And the sermon was really good too. John 17 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. Walking home afterward I said to Jane, "Gee, it's almost like I didn't even do anything tonight." Even thought I did everything I normally do other than preach. I don't know why, but I felt pretty good after the service. But then when sitting in the chair later on I started to get that feeling that I must be unaware of something and something is probably about to go horribly wrong. Hmm... not sure why I do that. Anyway.... whatever.

There was a nice gentle rain as I woke up this morning. I actually hit the snooze twice. I hardly ever do that either. It feels kind of like a lazy day, and I'm still in my robe. I suppose I should probably get dressed and go save somebody today. Or something.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: