Sunday, November 21, 2010

Relational guidelines for leaders

I ran across this list of 'The Ten Guidelines for Building Respect in Ministry' on the St. Paul's Bloor Street leadership covenant (via), and thought these looked pretty good. I'm thinking of using them with our leadership council at church.
  1. If you have a concern with me, come to me (privately).
  2. If I have a concern with you, I'll come to you (privately).
  3. If someone has a concern with me and comes to you, send them to me. (I'll do the same for you.)
  4. If someone consistently will not take concerns to a leader, say, "Let's go to the leader together. I am sure they will see us about this." (I will do the same for you.)
  5. Be careful how you interpret me "I'd rather do that. On matters that are unclear, do not feel pressured to interpret my feelings or thoughts. It is easy to misinterpret intentions.
  6. I will be careful how I interpret you. I will interpret you charitably and respectfully.
  7. If it's confidential, don't tell. (This especially applies to ministry.) If you or anyone comes to me in confidence, I won't tell unless (a) the person is going to harm himself/herself, (b) the person is going to physically harm someone else, (c) a child has been physically or sexually abused. I expect the same confidence from you.
  8. I do not read unsigned letters or notes.
  9. I do not manipulate; I will not be manipulated; do not let others manipulate you. Do not let others try to manipulate me through you.
  10. When in doubt, just say it. The only dumb questions are those that don't get asked. We are family here and we care about each other, so if you have a concern, pray, and then (if led) speak up. If I can answer it without misrepresenting something or breaking a confidence, I will.

No comments: