Friday, May 20, 2011

Mapping the neighborhood

Now that it's getting nicer out we have started meeting some of the new neighbors (between raindrops). Last night we took a walk and met several more. We also made up some business cards with our name, address, phone numbers, and email. We probably won't give them to everyone we meet, but to some. We made a special point to stop over to the elderly folks who live right behind us. It was a way to introduce ourselves and let them know that they can contact us if they ever need anything. Interestingly enough the one woman is the mother of one of our former neighbors, and the grandmother/great-grandmother of some people in our church. Small world. She actually helped make the quilt that hangs on the back wall of the church.

Up to this point we've been keeping track of people's names on our marker board on the refrigerator. It is starting to get a little full, so last night I started working on a neighborhood map on MS Word. That way I can keep track of exactly who lives in what house, and I can update it as we meet more people (I hate using the new Word though).

Something I had always intended to do at the last house was to walk the block around our house and ask if anyone had anything I could pray for them about. It never happened though. Partly because blocks are a lot bigger in the country, and partly because it's just harder to walk from house to house in general. I suppose I could have driven, but it also seems so much more invasive in the country to just "pop in". Maybe I'm just more used to being in town, but it seems more natural to meet your neighbors on a walk. That was why one of our main criteria for a new house was to be in a neighborhood that had sidewalks.

Anyway... I suppose I am kind of a "list" person. I learn the names of people in my church by typing everyone's name on a piece of paper and taping it to the wall in front of my desk. I don't know that I have a great memory, but it's amazing how easily you can learn people's names by praying over them each day. I don't know if I will do that with the neighborhood map or not, but I might. It's a least a start in getting to know everyone.

On a side note, I did catch the people directly next to us unloading a bunch of guitars last night. Someone stopped in front of their house in a pickup truck and the father and one son unloaded at least a half dozen electric guitars and took them in the house. That piqued my curiosity, so I am trying to think of a coy way to inquire further about that.

I guess I also gave the neighbor boy on the other side one of Isaac's old remote control cars yesterday. I doubt that Isaac will want to play with it anymore. I thought it might be a good way to introduce myself to the basketball-shooting-boy. He said he helped build the big table in our basement when the previous owners lived here. He said he was pretty "tight" with them. That was good to know. Seemed like a nice kid.

Well, I guess that's all for now. Peace out; and in.

2 comments:

Jim L said...

You have a Gmail account. You know you can log into Google Maps and create custom maps with custom "push pins" (including different colors and shapes) and notes to go with each one, yes? If you didn't know, then yes, you can. And the nice thing there is you can share it with others and they will always see the most up to date version.

Just sayin'. :)

dan said...

Hey... now there's an idea. Thanks, Jim!