Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Holy cow

This morning I was driving to the office on back roads
- which I've been doing more and more lately -
and I saw a farmer standing in his cow lot.
One cow was laying down,
and the farmer was patting and rubbing its neck
as if to comfort the huge animal.
Standing behind him were five or six other cows
- all in a row -
just looking on
like an audience of angels.
I'm not sure why, but it seemed a holy moment, of sorts.
Very serene.
The tenderness of a farmer,
the astuteness of cattle...
Man and beast...
and I think maybe even God in their midst.

I drove the rest of the way to the office
in silence...
Just taking it in.

2 comments:

Jim L said...

And I felt a momentary calming peace, just reading that.

Thanks!

Joan Baumgartner Brown said...

I love that, Dan. Thanks for sharing it. Holy ground is found in all sorts of places.