Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I got a new cell phone

I finally had to break down and get a new cell phone last night. My old flip phone - that I have had for probably 5 or 6 years - finally started to give out. The battery was going dead without hardly even using it, and I wanted to get a new phone before it conked out completely (since we no longer have a land line). Of course I tried to get online to check out phone options, couldn't remember my password, and got locked out of our account. So we decided to go to the Verizon store (instead of somewhere else), hoping they could open our account back up for us (which they couldn't). At any rate, I just wanted a phone for talk and texting, and with a better camera than I had. The guy showed me the basic models, then he suggested a Blackberry Curve 9330 that he said would be good with an additional $10 web plan (rather than the full $30 for a regular smartphone). Against my better judgement I went ahead and took it. Now I wish I'd have just gotten a phone like Jane's.

So I spent the rest of the night trying to figure the stupid thing out. I can get on the internet, and check email, and facebook, and all that stuff. But the keyboard is so stinking small, and I couldn't figure out how to get it to ring more than one time! When receiving a call it would ring once, but it would continue to vibrate until it went to voicemail. I think I finally got it fixed this morning, but I'm not really sure how. I googled the problem and someone suggested you needed to set the vibrate for just 1 time - so it would vibrate then ring, vibrate then ring, etc. Well, I did that, but it didn't work. But there are several different ways to adjust the ring tone. So I adjusted it on one, then I'd find another way to do it, so I'd adjust it there, then another way, and so on. It finally seems to work.

Otherwise, I guess it's an ok phone. I have 14 days to take it back, but I would have to pay $35 if I returned it. I'm just not sure I really need a smartphone. But I'll keep it a few days and see. I really wish I'd just have gotten a phone like Jane's for talking, texting, and pics.

Sometimes a simple thing like getting a new phone can complicate life so much. At least it seems complicated. Oh well.

No comments: