Wednesday, September 26, 2012

34 degree run

I've never done much running outdoors until this summer - at least not since high school. So I wasn't sure what to expect Monday morning when it was 34F. It was a bit nippy at first, but I think I was pretty well prepared. I wore my long socks, sweat pants, a long sleeve "dri-star" shirt with a t-shirt over it, a zippered sweat jacket, plus a stocking cap and gloves. I wasn't really cold at all, and actually did sweat a little bit (but not much). I also felt pretty good, but didn't go any too fast. I ran 5 miles and did a rather quick cool-down, so as to not get too cold. Not bad. Fortunately it has warmed back up and hopefully won't be too bad on the day of the big race.

The house wasn't even too bad Monday morning. I think it was 66 when I got up, and warmed up on its own later in the day. I don't know why our house stays so warm, but I'm not complaining. I would hate for it to get too much colder though since we have Carrie and Anna staying with us while Drew is in Texas for 2 weeks.

On another noted, and I don't think it's related to my cold run on Monday, but I can't decide if I am having allergy problems or if I am getting a cold. My right eye has been running almost constantly. I just thought it was allergies, but yesterday I started feeling achy and my muscles were sore all over, and I can't tell if I'm getting a sore throat or not. Ugh. This is NOT a good week to get a cold. And I would hate to not be able to run the half marathon Saturday. I don't know why but it's become one of those things that I just really, really want to do now - even if I never do it again. So... I may not run the rest of the week until then. Rest up, drink plenty of water, I bought some vitamin c yesterday, and hopefully all will be well. We'll see.

No comments: