Thursday, November 08, 2012

Coats

I finally did get a winter coat. Actually, I got three two.

Since I lost so much weight this past summer, none of my coats fit me very well. My main two winter coats were waaaay too big on me. My hands didn't even stick out from the sleeves (because they were a little big on my already). So the only thing I had for coats were hooded sweatshirts and sweat-suit tops. So... I started on the great coat hunt of 2012. Just like with my shoes, it takes me awhile to pick out a coat too.

I first bought a reversible fleece jacket at Kohls. It is fleece on the one side, and the other side is water resistant. It was also on sale for $50. I liked it, but wasn't sure how warm it would be since it's more of a "fall" jacket. So I left the tags on for a couple weeks and just tried it on every couple days. I finally took the tags off last week when we were heading out for the weekend trip to Michigan City - because I kind of needed something more than a sweatshirt.

I also bought a fake sort of "down" coat at Walmart for $19.99 that I could wear more as a work coat. It is nice and warm, but it is really cheaply made and I don't have a lot of confidence in the zipper, but it should work nicely to work in the yard, shovel snow, and things like that.

I still didn't really have a "nice" winter coat. I tried on a million different ones, but it seems so many either don't have a zipper (they have buttons), or they have all these coats with TWO zippers now (what is up with that???), or I was stuck between sizes (smalls that were too small and mediums that were too big). I'd had my eye on this Columbia coat at JCP for some time. It was one of the first one's I tried on when this search began, and I really liked it, but it was $100. I didn't want to spend that much on a coat. But... after not having any luck with anything else... I finally just took the plunge and bought it. I still haven't taken the tags off, just in case something else would pop up, but I think that might be the one. It is a small (as are the others), and it fits really well. It is also pretty light. So I will probably keep the tags on until I really need it, but I think that might be the one. But I don't know.

I am taking the third coat back to JCP. I just can't get used to that type of coat. It's so light, and slick. I prefer wool for a nicer coat. There is one at JCP that is only $80, plus I have a $10 off coupon. So I can save some money by trading. Or... I may just wait. Who knows, maybe I won't need a nice coat.

So that's my 2012 winter coat saga so far.

No comments: