Friday, March 08, 2013

Five things friday

1. Church should be more like a potluck, where everyone brings something to the table, than a formal dinner where you hire someone to serve the meal and everyone else just shows up expecting to eat. The latter doesn't seem to fit into Jesus' message about the kingdom. How did we ever make it into that?

2. It's a nice sunny day. I am ready for spring.

3. This weekend we move to Daylight Saving Time -- setting our clocks an hour AHEAD. I really don't mind the concept of DST, but I wish Indiana were in the Central Time Zone instead of the Eastern. I believe that would be safer and smarter for school children. As it is, it stays dark too late in the morning, and stays light too late at night.

4. I probably spend too much time reading about University of Illinois football and basketball. I don't follow football near as much as basketball (for obvious reasons), but staying up to date on their message boards can be time-consuming. I mostly follow the recruiting, and that can be such an emotional rollercoaster. Right now I'm hoping for a summer commitment from Cliff Alexander and Jaquan Lyle (b-ball). I'm thinking that's wishful thinking though.

5. My itching seems to have finally stopped. It took just a little over a week for it to quit. I still have little scabs from where I broke out (back and arms mostly). Weird stuff. My knee feels 'better'... but I haven't done anything since Monday. It was feeling GREAT when I was on the full dose of prednisone, then I ran pretty hard on Monday (2 miles out of the blue) and it was a little sore. I have since dropped to a half dose, and it doesn't really hurt... but I am aware of it. I'm kind of afraid to do anything. But I suppose I should. I think my head is still adjusting to the zoloft. I don't like that 2-week adjustment period. It just feels weird. Not sure how to explain it.

1 comment:

Jim L said...

Re. #1, I blame Constantine and Augustine. Especially now that I've finished Pagels' "Adam, Eve, and the Serpent."

Church-as-audience-led-by-pros seems to flow directly from church-as-state-sponsored-hierarchy-and-control (if we were German theologians, I am sure there would be compound nouns already in existence for both of those :).