Thursday, August 01, 2013

14 years

Today is officially my 14th anniversary as pastor at my church. I think I can count it because I am technically still on sabbatical - even though I have been let go (the sabbatical ended for me the minute I was asked not to return though).

I knew it would have to end at some point. I guess I just never envisioned it ending like this. Sort of ironic that it ends almost 14 years to the day. I still remember when we moved here in 1999. It was the hottest day of the year and the parsonage didn't have air conditioning. Not a soul offered to help us move in and we had absolutely no idea where to return the Uhaul truck to, having only been in Fort Wayne one time. We unloaded everything, drove around until we saw a place that had Uhauls parked outside, then just crashed on the floor with all our stuff piled around us. I had yet to even ask how much money I was going to get paid. But we were happy. In some ways it seems like yesterday, in others it seems like another lifetime.

We had some pretty good times over the years. I wish I could remember more of them rather than what's happening now. Although, I will say that I wish I knew then what I know now. Oddly enough I am probably more healthy both physically and emotionally now than I was then. Just kind of crazy how things work out.

No comments: