Friday, October 25, 2013

Started a spiritual formation group

Well, we finally started up a Spiritual Formation Group. Jane and I have wanted to get involved in a small group, or Bible study, or huddle, or missional community, or.... something... anything... for some time now. While we like the new church, we have had a little trouble getting connected. So we finally just asked Drew Carrie if they wanted to start a group with us. So for now it is just the four of us. We're going to try to meet once a week after the kids go to bed.

I'm not sure what it will turn into, but for now we decided to use James Bryan Smith's A Spiritual Formation Workbook. I had several copies of an older version, and I actually like this material. It isn't too difficult, but it allows you to go as deep as you want. Plus I think it is an excellent resource that, once you've been in a group, everything is there and each person could then easily lead a group themselves. I also just happen to like the whole Dallas Willard - Richard Foster - JBS line of thinking/living/spirituality.

As I said, last night was the first meeting we had. I thought it went swell. I am praying that God might teach us a lot, and help us all grow and mature, and we'll see what happens out of this. I am just glad to be in some kind of a group again. Jane and I have talked about trying to start a group, but it's just hard to know who to ask to be in it. I've considered just putting a status out there on Facebook, but I'm always afraid of who might say 'yes.' I don't really want any super spiritual types, or people who over-christianize everything. I prefer a more laid back group that just wants to kind of hang out together and can be honest and vulnerable with one another. So I think this is a good place to start.

Someday I would still like to start a 'Beer Study & Bible Tasting' group... We'll see.

Peace out... and in.

No comments: