1 I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
and put their trust in him.
I LOVE this passage. I am a lover of the Psalms in general - I would regularly read from them and preach from them when I didn't know what else to read and/or preach - but Psalm 40 is an incredible piece of writing.
We also looked at Philippians 3:13-14 - about "forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead." The past has passed - we have been forgiven and there's nothing we can do to change it - so we look ahead at what God wants to do in and through us in the coming days.
So the gist of the message was.... "What new song does God have in store for me in 2015?" Or "What would we like to see God do in and through us this year?" We were given time to pray and write out - and then discuss with someone else - God's "new song" for our coming year in the areas of: UP, IN, and OUT (3dm terminology).
|From J.R. Briggs|
Then, on the other side of the card, we were to write out 'One thing that could only happen this year if God does it.' In other words, if it were not based on my own skill or hard work, but absolutely had to be something God did in/through me, what would I like to see happen?'
I wrestled with it Sunday, and still am. I'm not overly satisfied with my thinking at this point, but this is what I've come up with so far:
God's New Song for My 2015:
1. UP (my relationship with God)
- I would like to have my heart restored for worship (singing in particular, but other ways too). I just don't 'feel' it when I sing or am in a worship gathering anymore. I don't like that.
2. IN (my relationship with other christians)
- I would like to get in a small group or study group of some kind.
- I wish we could find a couple other couples to hang out with, people similar to us and on the same journey.
3. OUT (my relationship with unbelievers)
- Basically, it would be nice to give a crap again - a heart, or desire, to reach out.
- I wish I could come to the place where I felt like inviting others either into church stuff or Kingdom living.
- I want to explore the pizza idea, or maybe hanging with the people at the veterans home... some type of service/ministry thing.
As for the one thing that I'd like to see that can only happen if God does it... Two things:
1. Forgiveness and restoration with the church council (and a few others) at my former church.
2. A desire for ministry again - whether occupational or not.
So, we'll see where this goes. I can't really say if I feel better or worse at the beginning of this year than past years, but I am at least hopeful this year. I feel like something is going to happen. Who knows. God's works in some mysterious ways, and life is strange.