Thursday, January 29, 2015

Integrity

I've been thinking a lot about integrity lately. If you type it into the Google search engine the first definition that pops up is, "the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness." It's interesting how different people can view that differently.

I have known people who are adamant about their own high level of personal integrity. They are bold in sharing Jesus with others and speaking their faith - and wearing Christian shirts and attending Christian things, etc. I have felt the sneer from some of these folks as they see me interacting with people who don't hold to the same moral filters as they do. Yet, I've also seen and heard first-hand how these "people of integrity" interact in their daily lives - at their jobs, in public places outside of church, etc. - and their behavior often leaves me questioning their integrity. They tend to act one way when they're in 'church' or around 'church friends' and another way when they're not.

As for me, I rarely share my faith with others, I'm not at all bold in talking about Jesus, I don't wear Christian garb or attend too many Christian things... but I'd like to think that I am honest and dependable and trustworthy and sincere. I certainly have my flaws, but I hope that I am the same when I am in front of others as when I am alone. I guess that's what integrity means to me.

So, whether I am right or not, I guess it doesn't matter. I was just thinking about it. I want to be a person of integrity. I want my 'yes' to mean 'yes' and my 'no' to mean 'no.' I suppose if someone says they're after the same thing - even if it doesn't look like mine - I should be glad about that. Hmm. Whatever.