Saturday, February 07, 2015

Pounce...

...'Scuse me while I whip this out...
  • I am saddened to read all the Facebook posts by my "christian" friends who are jumping all over Brian Williams about his "mis-remembering" or possible embellishment of a news story. And I'm not defending what he did - I haven't a clue if it's true or not - but what bothers me is their use of this as a justification or defense of Fox News. It's like, "Hey, we finally found another news person who made something up, so, see... Fox News isn't so bad!" You know, if you like FN, that's fine. I am saddened seeing people I used to respect jumping at the chance to discredit someone just to defend their own personal preferences though.
  • I am also deeply saddened, and disgusted by, some of the same crowd who are jumping all over President Obama for his remarks about slavery and the Crusades. Again, I haven't looked into the story a great deal, but I've seen enough and know enough history to know that it's not a stretch to say a number of atrocities have been committed in the name of Christianity over the years. I don't see anywhere in his comments that he was defending ISIS, but rather that he was calling all people to humility. Why is it so hard for some people (and Christians in particular) to admit they (or we) could ever do anything wrong? (that's a rhetorical question)
  • And, finally... yesterday I had my annual evaluation at work. I know I shouldn't write about work, but... it was a little irritating. The guy took TWO phone calls during my evaluation - one from his wife, and another about hockey tickets - neither of which were important. Then, after telling me what a great job I'm doing, he spent the bulk of the time trying to figure out how I can be more like him. And it's not that he's a bad guy, but we are polar opposites. So, rather than trying to utilize my strengths in the company, his only solution is to try to get me to be something I am never going to be. My intention going into the evaluation was to just sit and listen and leave, but I finally had enough and spewed a bunch of stuff I didn't want to say. I was totally disappointed in myself, but we just don't see eye to eye. It's like having Michael Scott for a boss (The Office). A great guy, but so narrow. I struggle with the lack of professionalism, integrity and leadership skill. I was able to stop short of offering to help, because, who am I to suggest such a thing - I'm just considered a washed up old man. But I wanted to scream things like VALUES-DRIVEN INCENTIVES, STRENGTH-BASED LEADERSHIP, and WHY DON'T YOU GROW UP?!? Ugh... I was so mad at myself.
Okay, this is me climbing down off my high horse now. Sorry.