Thursday, March 12, 2015

Accomplish

The wife and cat and I have a morning routine that at some point brings us all into the living room. When I sit down at the desk to get on the computer the cat usually makes her presence quite well known to me. So, we talk about how we slept, and any plans for the day (mostly Jane and I). Sometimes I will actually ask the cat what she plans to do? She usually just purrs.

Yesterday I asked the cat what she planned to accomplish that day. There was, of course, no answer... but it kind of made me think. Who judges what each of us accomplishes in a day? I mean, if the cat just lays around all day, jumps up on mine or Jane's lap a couple times at night, shows herself occasionally, hasn't she really served her purpose?

So what about people? What kind of list of accomplishments would you like associated with your name? Certainly I have been guilty of striving after ones that probably don't matter all that much. What if you're simply known as "a good companion"? Would there be anything wrong with that? You could even step it up a notch and say, "a good friend," or "a good parent... spouse... worker... boss..." etc., etc., etc.

Although, the other side is... If you believe the story of the Christian Bible, it seems God expected a little more from human beings than animals. Maybe a lot more. So...

Anyway, I kissed and hugged the wife with a little extra squeeze in the morning. I smiled at the pictures of the kids and grandkids as I headed out the door. I drove to work feeling... alright.

Sometimes simple things are satisfying. Though... are they always simple?

I am reminded of this series of questions from Henri Nouwen:
Did I offer peace today?
Did I bring a smile to someone's face?
Did I say words of healing?
Did I let go of my anger and resentment?
Did I forgive?
Did I love?
These are the real questions.