Friday, April 03, 2015

Lectionary identity... and stuff

Today is Good Friday. As I stated the other day, Holy Week used to be one of my favorite times of the year. I felt like I could better identify with Jesus and the 'way of the cross' while going through Holy Week liturgies. That is also why I used to like following (loosely) the Lectionary. A lectionary is a book or listing that contains a collection of scripture readings appointed for Christian or Judaic worship on a given day or occasion. I realize that the 'Christian Calendar' is not necessarily a biblical idea, but it often gives feet to my faith, so to speak. It allowed me to identify with Christ and his life and teachings by reminding me OF his life and teachings on a regular basis. Anyway, I kind of miss that. I miss the time I used to have for prayer and contemplation and study. I miss being on that journey with others. Such is life.

As for the other "stuff"... A friend let it slip the other day that the area pastors cohort of our tribe had a gathering. I didn't know anything about it, nor did I know we even had an area pastors cohort. I debated whether to say anything or not, but... you know me. Honestly, though, I think it kind of sucks. I mean, supposedly I am still an ordained and recognized pastor in our denomination. At least that's what people say. I still remember, though, however many months ago when we had a meeting with the regional leaders to establish this, I told them I thought it was a good "start," but I was afraid that would be the end of it. Apparently it was. Eh... whatever.