Wednesday, July 01, 2015

The bible on paper

I love how Eugene Peterson phrases 2 Timothy 3:16-17 in The Message:

There’s nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.

I have about a million bibles at my house. Yes, this picture is my actual "stack of bibles" (and is even missing some). Most are different translations or versions, but some are duplicates. However, I admit that I have lately relied mostly on my iphone for my bible reading. I really like the YouVersion Bible app - I recommend it over any other for it's ease, accessibility, and variety of free versions. That's what I use in church on Sunday mornings, because, let's face it, it's easier to carry; and they usually put the text up on the screen anyway.

However, I still prefer a paper bible for reading and studying. Not just holding an actual book in my hand, or laying it on the table in front of me, but so I can see everything else that is around the particular text I may be looking at. I think using a paper bible helps us keep things in context better, because it allows for easier visibility of the surrounding text. 

My favorite versions are: NIV (though I preferred the 1984 version to the current one), CEV, NLT, and The Message. Sometimes I actually like some of the wording in the NKJV too.

Not that there's anything wrong with any other methods of reading the bible, but I just think I will always prefer the paper kind. Though, honestly, I will also use electronic one's as well. It's all good.