Friday, August 28, 2015

Where I'm at: food/eating

A typical lunch at work
In order to have a full week of these "where I'm at" posts, I wasn't sure what to include after running, church, coaching, and work. So I figured another important aspect of life for me - that I have some control over - is food. Today I will post some of the foods I typically eat.

I just downloaded a calorie-counting app on my phone (I think I prefer MyPlate over MyFitnessPal), so I've never really known where I was at in that regard. After 1 day of about 1400 calories - which included 2 beers and no running - I supposed I'd like to average somewhere around 1500 calories a day. I can usually do that pretty easily as long as I avoid beer and a random bag of chips or going out to eat. Every now and then I'll have a fail day, but for the most part, this is what I eat.

Morning:
- 2-3 cups of coffee (1/2 caff)
- either a 160 calorie Pure Protein shake, or a couple eggs (toast if I eat out)
- twice a week I meet people for breakfast and then have way more coffee
- Mid-morning I will have a hard-boiled egg, avocado half, or banana

Lunch:
- 160 calorie Pure Protein shake
- a handful of baby spinach, kale, lettuce or other green
- a handful of blueberries or some type of raw veggie
- *on Saturdays we usually go to a local eatery and have 2 eggs, sausage, fruit and wheat toast

Mid-afternoon:
- some type of raw veggies (radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery)
- maybe a piece of fruit (kiwi, banana) or avocado half, or handful of almonds

Supper:
- some type of meat (chicken, fish, beef)
- some type of veggie (broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, brussell sprouts, etc)

Evening snack:
- usually some almonds and/or walnuts

I probably drink between 75-100 oz. of water per day. Sometimes I'll have some hot tea, or add some lemon to my water. As I said earlier, my main culprit is if I have beer, because I've lost a taste for lite beers so it can be a problem in more ways than one.

All in all I generally like my food choices. I eat fairly healthy and try to vary fruits and veggies from time to time. I don't really know what I would change. I like the things I eat, I rarely feel hungry at all, and other than the occasional binge when we eat out or I get a bag of chips, I'm pretty good with things for now.