Sunday, January 03, 2016

A haircut at home and other sprucing news


I decided to go back to cutting my own hair again yesterday. I needed to tidy it up around the edges, and it just seems such a hassle to go somewhere else and have it done. So I got out the clippers and was going to try to do the #4 on top and #2 on the sides like the stylists do. It's just too hard for me though, so I ended up cutting it with the #2 all over. I really don't mind this look (at least from my perspective). It is clean and super easy to take care of. Using a #4 on top always results in me having a slight fohawk after a week or so. This is much easier to maintain. The only thing I miss is the calming effect of having someone else cut my hair. I especially like when they run the clippers down the back of my neck. I suppose I will survive.

Other than that, yesterday was a busy day around our house. We did sleep late in the morning (again), but we both managed to get a run in, and then we set about cleaning and de-cluttering the house. Jane ran outside and I did a 5k on the treadmill. Ugh. It took me 50 minutes! Still, it felt good to sweat again.

Jane tackled the area in the basement under the steps. I don't even know what all she keeps under there, but she emptied several boxes and two plastic tubs. I went through some things in our basement closet. I emptied two large tubs myself. We rarely have any garbage other than recycling items, but yesterday we filled our garbage bin to overflowing with just junk. It was mostly old clothes, stuffed animals and broken toys, as well as miscellaneous items we'd long forgotten we even had. We could probably do this every night for a month and still have way more than we need/want. Still, it feels good to clean things up - whether it's my hair or the house.

This afternoon (after church this morning and lunch with the Feipel5) we both read for a bit. Jane finished what she termed "one of the best books she's read in awhile" - Rachel Held Evans's book 'Faith Unraveled: How A Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask Questions.' I started a kindle download of Michael Frost's book 'Jesus the Fool: The Mission of the Unconventional Christ.' I'm pretty sure I downloaded it for free, or $1.99 or something. I also downloaded 'Exiles' at the same time. Not sure how I never read that back in the day. I always connected more with Frosty's writing than his mate Alan Hirsch, so I'm looking forward to these.

So... there ya go.