Monday, January 11, 2016

Jesus the fool - red letter christians


Awhile back I saw Michael Frost's book 'Jesus the Fool: The Mission of the Unconventional Christ' was on sale on Kindle for $1.99 or something... so I downloaded it. I prefer real books, but I've started reading more and more on the e-format, and I didn't think I could pass this up. Even though this book came out 5 years ago, I have not been disappointed.

I think I mentioned recently that I really connect with Michael's writing, much moreso than with his oft-writing-mate Alan Hirsch. Not that one is better than the other, but I read Michael better and prefer how he writes.

I'm about halfway through the book now and I think I'm going to go back through my Kindle notes and share some snippets. I have really liked the book so far. In fact, I would venture to say chapter 2 "Here Is A Glutton and A Drunkard" is one of the best things I've read in a long time. As is chapter 4 ('The Art of Reframing'). It is heavier stuff than I've read in awhile - as far as culture and biblical history - but, dang, it really moved me. I didn't expect much to come from reading this, I mean, how much more can be said on the subject? But I can almost feel myself changing as I read this book. I really love reading about Jesus.

So, anyway... the snippet for today is from the "Forward" written by Tony Campolo. In addition to setting the stage for the book, he explains what it means to be a "Red Letter Christian." I had kind of forgotten about this group, and I can't say what all else they're about, but I liked this explanation of the term:
"We call ourselves Red Letter Christians. We like this designation because most Christians know that the 'red letters' refers to those passages of the Bible that denote words that Christ Himself uttered...

...We contend that all the rest of the Bible (the verses written in black letters) must be read through the eyes of Jesus in order to get their true meaning. What Jesus was, is, and taught provides the lens through which we read Scripture and the lens through which we view society."

Yep. I can dig it. That's all for now.