Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Miserable cold


It has been miserably cold, and I have a miserable cold. Actually, I am basically over this head cold I've had - no more achiness and whatnot - but now it's the lingering cough and sinus drainage that is just bad enough to be constantly uncomfortable.

The weather, on the other hand, is still downright miserable. Yesterday was the coldest day we've had this year. Sure, it's been colder before, but that first day it gets down to zero takes some getting used to. I don't think it ever got above 5 degrees farenhiet yesterday; and there was a chilling wind. It just wears me out when it's cold like that.

Fortunately I am not outside in the weather a ton. When I first get to work I have to drive through the property and then check each of the 11 climate control buildings - make sure the heat is working and that all is well. Another pain is that I don't have an entryway to my office, so when someone opens the door it is RIGHT THERE, and all the heat goes out while all the cold comes in. My office isn't overly large either, so the temperature can change quickly. I wore an undershirt, long-underwear shirt, and hooded sweatshirt all day - and when I had to go outside I also put my coat and hat and gloves on.

I thought it would be a slow day, but noooooooooooooooo. I had 3 people come in and rent, and 2 move-outs; as well as someone use the truck. I also had a couple of deliveries I had to make to storage units. So I was in and out more than I wanted to be.

It's still not as bad as it was when I worked in the gas station along I-80 for all those years. That was back in the day when service station attendants pumped the gas for you. That was just miserable - the constant going in and out; heat and cold... Ugh. I don't think I could do that anymore. I feel old enough just dealing with this.

Although, as I think about it, it wasn't all that much better when I was pastoring the small country church. Inevitably, when it got this cold, the pipes would freeze in the church (and parsonage), and I would end up out in the well pit or laying on the frozen ground outside it. I also froze my butt off every time I went to the bathroom. I only kept the heat on in my office and it was an ice cube everywhere else in the church. The worst thing about living out there to me, though, was the open space. The church and parsonage sat out in the middle of nowhere. There were hardly any trees or buildings or landscaping to knock down the wind. It always felt like North Dakota or Wyoming or somewhere. I'm not a big fan of wide open spaces detached from the rest of the world.

So..... anyway..... today has been slower at work; and the temperature has already doubled the high of yesterday (it's up to 10f). It's still fairly miserable out, but I don't mind sitting here behind a computer looking out the window - as long as there isn't someone opening my door all day long.

I am not a winter person.