Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Stunned passion (?)


I started reading Jen Hatmaker's book 'Interrupted: When Jesus Wrecks Your Comfortable Christianity.' This is actually an expanded and updated version of her originally published book in 2009. This will be the first thing I've read from her. I'm thinking she's around my daughter's age, and seems to be writing from a Shane Claiborne type vein. Plus I kind of like how the book is set up. It has "phases," and within each phase are 4-5 really short chapter-like things. Carrie read it and recommended it to Jane, and Jane highly recommended it - said it was one of the better books she's read in awhile. So... here we go.

I didn't get very far into it (there is a forward, acknowledgements, and TWO introductions) before I stopped reading and just pondered a couple things I'd underlined.

On p. 5 is this gem:
"I am still stunned by my capacity to spin Scripture, see what I wanted, ignore what I didn't, and use the Word to defend my life rather than define it."

Oh... ouch. It's so tempting to read something like that and immediately think of 'other' people this fits. Especially in the hyper-political period we are presently in - everyone seems able to twist God's "will" (and Word) to back their favored candidate or cause. However, as I let it sink in... dang... I think even *I* am guilty. So, I think I'm going to think on that some more. This book could take me awhile to read, and that might be a good thing.

The only other thing I underlined as yet - in the first 21 pages - was this short-but-dangerous prayer she uttered at the beginning of her "interruption": 

"God, raise up in me a holy passion."

Whew, I was actually just talking about passion with someone yesterday morning. We were discussing how someone our age could decide to start work on a Phd; or how missionaries keep on going well past retirement age. We both kind of acknowledged a lack of burning passion at the moment (which seems to be what's missing). And, quite honestly, I'm not at all sure I'm ready to pray this prayer just yet. It's a rather sobering thought.

So, again, this may be slow going. But I kind of like it.