Sunday, March 13, 2016

First 5k of the year


We ran our first 5k of the year yesterday. It was the Fort Wayne Firefighters 5-Kilt/Get Green Fest 5k. We ran it last year for the first time and had a blast. This year was even better because the weather was nicer. It was still a bit chilly, but the sun was shining and there was no wind. It was probably just under 40 degrees when we started and in the mid-40's when we were done. And how can you beat a race that ends with free green beer?

Daughter Carrie ran with us most of the way until she took off towards the end. Jane and I ran it at around 10-minute miles, which was typical for us.

This is mostly a "fun" run, but it's a run nonetheless. People dress in costumes and stuff, but I doubt it's like a color run. Besides, I love running through downtown Fort Wayne. The course gets a bit narrow, especially towards the end, but it's a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

I probably drank a few more green beers than I needed, and didn't really see the river turned green, but I hope to do it again next year. Now it's on to find the next 5k of the season.