Friday, April 22, 2016

My first y workout


Wednesday night I went to the Y and worked out for the first time. Jane and Carrie were both working, so I stopped on my way home after work. I felt like I needed to at least open my locker and set foot on the premises.

I managed to get to the locker room and change out of my work clothes and into shorts. First I decided I would look around the locker room. I'd been inside, but didn't know where the showers or anything were. So I meandered back and right away realized I was stupid to pick the locker I did. I got one right inside the door, and it's on the top row. I have to stand on my tiptoes to open it. I had no idea there were lockers around the corner - which is where most of them are. Then I found the restroom, and when I walked around the corner there were two naked guys sitting there in chairs with washcloth-sized towels over their "privates." I have no idea what they were doing there but I said, "Hi. I'm new here and just looking around." The one guy said real fast like, "Pool through there, jacuzzi there, sauna, steam room." At least I think that's what he said. So if that's the case, then I still don't know where the showers are.

Anyway, I decided to just walk around the indoor track. Fourteen laps make a mile. I have no idea how many times I walked around it, but I just kept my head down and went in circles for about 1/2 hour. There weren't a lot of people there, but I still felt awkward and out of place.

After walking I decided to be brave and walk down where the exercise equipment is. I walked past the treadmills and bikes and things, and there were only a couple people in the weight machine area. So I did a few machines that worked my upper body. Then I checked my blood pressure at the little table along the wall.

It was nearing time for Jane to get off work so I headed to the locker room. There were some guys chatting in my area, so I just grabbed the stuff out of my locker and wore my gym clothes home.

Of course, just to kind of put my late lot of insecurity and feeling stupid in perspective, when I walked out to my car I didn't remember that my ID card - which both gets me into the Y as well as my locker room - was still in my shorts pocket. Apparently when I pulled my keys out, the ID must have fallen out on the ground. After I got home - still feeling tense from my first foray - Carrie texted me that someone found my ID card. I hadn't even realized I'd lost it. So thank God for good people.

So, that's the story of my first workout. I don't know why I'm feeling so shy and afraid of everything right now, but hopefully it will get better as I become more comfortable there.