During my morning run today I was reminded how I used to write a 'Five Things Friday' post each... Friday. Of course there were a number of things running through my mind at the time. However, now that I have a minute to sit down at the computer.... can't think of much at all. Such is life.
- That's actually what I don't really like about my life at the moment: I don't have much time to sit and think; or don't have as much energy to do it. It seems like I'm either busy at work, or there is someone else there with me. I just can't think/relax when someone else is around. So I miss those long periods of being alone. I guess you could say I am a classic introvert.
- Running has not been going great this year. Ugh. I've been forcing myself to go out 3 or 4 days a week - which is okay - but I just can't run very fast or very far. This morning I did intervals between fast walking and trying to run 8-9 minute miles. I used to be able to sustain sub-8-minute-miles for 10+ miles, but now I can barely make it a quarter of a mile. And my normal jogging speed isn't all that much faster than a fast walk! It's depressing. But, such is life. Hmm... that's twice I've said that already.
- I've been thinking about leadership lately. Church leadership, to be precise. I don't know if I've lost interest in it because I'm no longer a part of it, or if I started losing interest and that's part of WHY I'm now no longer a part of it. Make no mistake, I still feel compelled to ministry. But not church leadership. I think we kind of got off base of Jesus's principles with that whole way of thinking. At least to me. I'm just going to concern myself with living out the teachings of Jesus and trying to walk in the Spirit.
- Another thing I've been thinking about leadership is the amount of resources 'the church' seems to be putting into it. One local church I know of recently paid off their multi-million dollar mortgage (which is amazing), but rumor has it that all the money that was going to be available has already been eaten up by staff and leadership development. Now, first off, it's possible this isn't true, and, second, they are certainly allowed to do whatever they want. However, this is a church that really touts themselves as "missional." So, again, this is where I have a problem with "leadership" and spending oodles of money developing it. I know I could be completely wrong, but it's just a gut feeling I have that... this kind of thinking might not be what Jesus was talking about. I dunno.
- Other than that, I don't really know what else to say. Jane finished another Brene Brown book recently and suggested I read it. It's always a good idea for me to listen when friends and loved ones suggest I do something. So I will be looking into that eventually. God knows I can use all the help I can get in dealing with emotions and whatnot.