Sunday, September 18, 2016

Fill my..... bucket, lord


Every now and then you'll here of someone who crossed something off their "bucket list." A bucket list is a set of special achievements or experiences you hope to accomplish during your lifetime. It might be a special trip, jumping out of an airplane, painting a masterpiece, owning a porsche, or some such thing. It seems for a couple months now I've been pondering my bucket list..... or lack of one.

About the only thing I can think of that I've always wanted to do was run a marathon. It doesn't look like that's going to happen at this point, so I'm feeling a bit empty. I'm not big on traveling, so I can't really say there are any places I'd like to visit. I am not too adventurous, so there are no mountains I'd like to climb or anything like that. I can't really think of any possessions I lack that would make me feel more fulfilled. Sometimes I wonder what my problem is. Why am I not like other people?

I suppose part of the problem is a lack of motivation at the moment. I have no purpose in life. I've settled into a rut and can't really imagine myself enjoying much of anything anymore. Shoot, even a 26-mile run doesn't sound all that enjoyable. But what's a poor soul to do in such times???

One day I was thinking about my empty bucket list and I suppose I was sort of asking God for help, and it reminded me of the old hymn, "Fill My Cup, Lord." It was written by Richard Blanchard a few decades ago. There is also a somewhat interesting story about how he came to write it. According to the book "Amazing Hymn Stories"...
"Life was never to be a bed of roses for Richard Blanchard.

A severe lung problem developed, and Blanchard was left with one-third of his lung capacity. But a diminished physical well-being did not stop young Blancard.

In 1953, he became the pastor of a church in Coral Gables, Florida, and one day, was asked by a young couple to perform their marriage ceremony. However, the couple was quite late for their counseling appointment.

Blanchard told his secretary, I will wait for thirty minutes and I'm leaving. He then went to a nearby Sunday school room and sat down to play the piano for awhile.

He later said, 'When I was not in the mood to be used of God, God was in a mood to use me.' In less than thirty minutes, as he waited for the young couple, God gave him the inspiring song Fill My Cup, Lord."

I'm not sure exactly how that might apply for me, but I guess for now I will hum this old tune and hope that God might still be in the mood to use me. Fill my cup, Lord, and if it's not too much trouble, my bucket as well.


Fill My Cup, Lord

(1) Like the woman at the well I was seeking
For things that could not satisfy;
And then I heard my Savior speaking:
"Draw from My well that never shall run dry."
      
CHORUS: Fill my cup, Lord, I lift it up, Lord!
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul;
Bread of heaven, feed me 'til I want no more-
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!
      
(2) There are millions in this world who are craving
The pleasure earthly things afford;
But none can match the wondrous treasure
That I find in Jesus Christ my Lord.
      
(3) So, my brother, if the things this world gave you
Leave hungers that won't pass away,
My blessed Lord will come and save you,
If you kneel to Him and humbly pray: