Saturday, September 03, 2016

The juno webmail scam


So, back on June 30th of this year I wrote about how I'd finally decided to cancel the old Juno webmail account I had when pastoring. Well, apparently I only thought I'd cancelled it. It appears that Juno isn't that easy to get rid of.

When I originally called to cancel I thought it was weird that I started getting "welcome to Juno" things, and I actually got a Juno cd in the mail. It would appear that instead of cancelling, they re-signed me up or something! It was hard to know because the person I talked to didn't speak English very well.

So...... the other day (9/1/16) I called back - after finally finding on their site how to go about deactivating - and once again got someone who spoke very poor English. I tried to explain that I wanted to deactivate/cancel my account and she tried signing me up for a different plan. I finally had to get a little stern and explain that I didn't want any of it! I wanted to be done with them, and I wanted my credit card info taken out of their system! She finally seemed to understand and said to do that I simply needed to stop using the account for 60-90 days. I asked how I could get my credit card info removed and she said that wasn't possible, that I just needed to leave the account dormant for 60-90 days.

I don't have a good feeling about this, but I guess I'm going to have to leave it dormant and watch my cc statements to make sure they don't automatically extend my subscription. Or, maybe it would be easier to just go ahead and get a new card.

So, what I have I learned? DON'T USE JUNO FOR WEBMAIL/EMAIL/INTERNET SERVICES. Which is unfortunate because we still have our very first email account with them under a different account. It sounds like we may have it forever.