I had my 54th birthday this past Wednesday. So far, it's been busy. This is almost literally the first chance I've had to sit down and post something.
My birthday itself was pretty uneventful. I went to work. I didn't feel particularly good - either from a head cold or allergies or something that made me feel like crap. I was busier than snot at work (even with a snotty nose). They installed a new phone system at work that day, so it was extra hectic. Plus the main owners were hanging around for awhile. Oh, and then the IT guy came and updated my work computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Nothing like a new phone system and new computer to get used to!
By they time I got home from work Wednesday evening I was pretty much wiped out. So I decided we should go to Henry's and have a quiet supper. There were plenty of other places I considered but I wanted someplace dark and where we could sort of just hide away in a booth and not be bothered. I think I had a burger and fries and a Fat Tire to drink.
Following supper we headed home and I crawled onto the couch in the basement. We watched the 7th game of the world series and I was kind of in and out of consciousness until towards the end. I should have went to bed but I just couldn't stop watching. I'm glad we stayed up because even for a non-baseball fan it was pretty darn exciting.
As far as gifts.... Jane got me a nice bottle of wine and some gourmet chocolates, Carrie sent me a text video of the grandkids singing happy birthday, and Isaac called that night. So it was very good in that regard.
All in all, I don't feel too bad hitting this age. I think I'm starting to become more comfortable with who I am and my current lot in life. I don't think I've ever had much of an ego problem (at least not to me), but I've especially lately started to not be so concerned about my reputation and what people think of me. I've done some stupid stuff, and that's kinda just the way it is. It no longer makes or breaks my own opinion of myself. Maybe I'm getting over the guilt and shame of some things, who knows.
In regard to the simple facts of life....
- We still live on the south side of Fort Wayne. It's still just me, Jane and the cat.
- I'm still managing the self storage facility on the north side of Fort Wayne (Dupont).
- I'm still driving the '02 Buick Century and Jane drives the '11 Ford Escape.
- We've started to settle into church at C2G - also getting involved in the Wednesday night group that serves meals to the under-served at the library.
- I still meet with Tom on a weekly basis. Jane and I meet with Tom and Kim on a 'mostly' weekly basis for Bible study.
- I meet with the new pastor on occasion, and I've just started meeting with a younger guy in the church (coaching).
- Health-wise - I feel good even though I could stand to lose 10 lbs or so. I drink too much and indulge in potato chips more than I should, but overall I eat pretty healthy.
- I haven't been running much lately, but I did stay with it better than I thought I might this past year. I managed to run 1 half marathon, a 10k, and maybe 4 official 5k's (I think). I haven't started working out at the Y like I'd intended just yet, but one of these days... :)
- Spiritually I feel pretty good. I'm not reading as many books as I used to, but I will finish reading through the Bible again this year, and I've managed to keep up with some devotional work. I'm feeling pretty settled without being complacent, I think.
- Emotionally, who the hell knows. I think I'm actually feeling pretty good, but I kind of think some other people aren't so sure. So, whatever. I did start back on a full 100mg dose of the zoloft/sertraline sometime over the spring or summer. That seems to be working out pretty well.