Monday, July 31, 2017

Chan's "biblical" church

I was reminded of this post from 2 years ago the other day. I believe it must have been 2013 when I heard Francis Chan give this talk in Fort Wayne (even though I said then it was 2015). Anyway, just posting this here again for further consideration:

A couple years ago (7.18.15) I had the pleasure of hearing Francis Chan speak in Fort Wayne. If I remember correctly he was just starting up a church in his home, and the gist of his talk was based on this question: "If someone asked you to describe church using only the Bible and not your experience, how would you do it?" That's what he intended as the basis for his church. I happened to run across my notes the other day...

According to Francis, the average person could spend 3-5 hours a week leading a church like he had in mind. He believes it should be built on 4 things:

  • Love/Family - Basically the "one another" passages. He asks, "What if we REALLY loved one another?" Hmm... good question.
  • Training/Equipping - According to the Bible the gifted people were equipped for works of service. Just like in a family, where people (kids) are trained in order to be released into the world.
  • The Mission - Everyone should be making disciples (the Great Commission).
  • Gathering together regularly. Acts 2:42 "They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer."
 Anyway... I'm not saying whether Francis is right or not, or even if I agree with these four descriptors. But I'd been looking for them, and thinking about this, and am glad I found them.