Saturday, August 19, 2017

First time running outside this year

Oh what a pathetic excuse for a runner I am. Today was the first time I've run outside all year!!! I went with Jane to Foster Park. I jogged 1 lap around (just over 2 miles) and then walked while she jogged the 2nd lap by herself. As an old fart I have to be extra careful of injuring myself. I don't want to try to do too much too soon.

I've only recently been walking/jogging on the treadmill again. Only 3 days a week, and never too far or too fast. I know that at some point I've got to make a practice of getting outside again.

It actually felt pretty good today. I don't have the lung capacity I would like. Which is partly why I only averaged 11-12 minute mile pace. My legs felt very fresh though. I'm sure I could have made it around the second time, but again, I know better than to push myself too soon. There will be time. It's just going to take a slow, deliberate, persistant pace to establish a rhythm again - and be able to keep it. So this was a good start.

Btw, I did jump on the scale the other day. Dang - 174 lbs. I don't think I'm going to make 150 this summer, but I suppose I can start in again on getting back in shape.