Wednesday, November 22, 2017

An uber driver


I've never been a bad driver, but to say I'm an uber one... I don't know. But I am now driving for Uber!

I signed up last week. It was easy to do, and I was notified about 15 minutes after applying that I'd been approved. Just needed to scan them a copy of my driver's license, insurance info, auto registration, and pass a background check. Unfortunately, I got kind of busy after that - and I needed to clean my car out and things - so it wasn't until today that I actually started.

I was coming home from my Wednesday meditation class and decided to "turn it on." You just open the driver app and slide the bar from "offline" to "online." I turned it on at 1:46 pm, and had a ride request at 1:50. Sadly enough, by the time I figured out what was happening, the 15-second window had passed and I missed out. But within 10 minutes I had another one.

Ironically, my first rider was also named Daniel. Ha! I picked him up by Lutheran Hospital and drove him to get an MRI over by the old Parkview Hospital. It took 14 minutes and I made almost $11 on the fare and he gave me a $5 tip. Interestingly enough, not only did we have the same first name, but it was my first time driving with Uber, and his first time riding with an Uber driver. :)

After that first rider, I headed back towards home. I swung by the airport just by the off chance that a plane may have landed, but I didn't get any other notifications so I went home.

I kinda sorta think I will like doing this for some supplemental income. I can chit-chat for short periods of time with total strangers much easier than I can with people I know. Plus I love the flexibility. So we will see.

----------------

Aside from that, it seems like I've been busy lately. I'm still picking up all the hours I can get at the Y, I meet with at least one person regularly for coaching, and I've helped out with a couple things at church. I had a lunch meeting the other day with the guy from Center for Congregations and our team at church working on the 'Engaging Young Adults' initiative. It was just me, the pastor, and the daughter of the pastor who founded the church.

That's about all I've got time for today. We are keeping the grandkids overnight tonight, so I need to get a move on. I guess tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. Jane is making lasagna. :)

1 comment:

bill Sloat said...

Wow! The Uber thing sounds groovy. My guess is that you will do well with it and enjoy it.

I hope the lasagna was tasty and that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.