Wednesday, September 06, 2006

FAMILY VACATION WITH BOB DYLAN


We used our vacation money this year to buy Bob Dylan concert tickets. Only 15 miles from home, but it was a pretty good time. Carrie took this great pic on her phone. She and Isaac were front and center. Jane and I were back a bit in the middle of the ground pack.

RAIN
Elana James opened the show around 6:15 – right when it started to rain. It rained clear through their great set, as well as Junior Brown’s, and Jimmy Vaughn’s. But it was dry for Bob. For awhile you could see blue sky everywhere except right over the stadium. But, not to fear, we had parka’s. I brought three, and only had to buy 1 Dylan parka for $5.

Elana James and her band were excellent - especially if you like fiddle music. And she is some kind of perky! I thought Junior Brown was incredible – singing and playing that combo tele/steel guitar. I liked the minimalist approach – him, a four-string bass, and the drummer just played a snare and a crash cymbal. I could have done without Jimmy Vaughn and his band. They looked like they would rather be somewhere else. That’s where the first two were good – they looked like they were GLAD to be there, and like they liked the audience. Unless you’re somebody like Dylan, you can’t get by with ignoring the audience in my book.

THE MAN HIMSELF
Dylan himself exceeded my expectations. He did all classics. The only disappointment was that he didn’t end with “Forever Young”, but that’s okay. He played his tiny keyboard the whole time; blew some harp; and sang incredibly good for a 65-year-old. I don't think he said anything until "thank you" at the end. And what was maybe weirdest... he was smiling off and on, and even laughing towards the end of the show. He actually looked like he was thoroughly enjoying himself! That just made it all the better. To get to see someone I've admired for so long, and for it to go well... wow.

Carrie and Isaac said a kid standing by them told them this was his 63rd Dylan show, and that this one ranked up there with the best. I’m glad I got to be there – especially with the fam.

SIDE NOTES
I only smelled weed a couple of times - but we resisted munchies until the ride home (Wendy's). There was one guy that was SOOO totally wasted. He was near Jane and me, and he kept teetering back and forth, just leaning on people. A couple of times he started to go down, but it was so crowded that he couldn't have fallen. Finally his wife/friend got him out of there. I can't imagine paying $50 for a ticket and then NOT EVEN GETTING TO SEE THE SHOW!

4 comments:

Robin said...

Not a big fan of his music, but I do have an appreciation for Dylan, he's an interesting soul. Can't help but smile at his new gig as iPod/iTunes endorser. Bringin' it to a new generation, I guess....

Glad he exceeded your expectations! At 50 bucks a pop, a very good thing!

mitch said...

Well, while I did get to hear Forever Young, you got to hear Girl of the North Country. Glad you all enjoyed it!

There's a good chance he'll be playing Modern Times songs on the fall tour, as it'll be more of a Dylan tour with just one opening band. I'm trekking down to Fairfax, VA, to see him in November... its at the tail end of the tour, so here's hoping he's got some pipes left.

dan said...

Micah,
I'm thinkin' he'll have plenty left. Good for you for getting to see him again (hopefully). I'm jealous. :)
peace,
dan

Anonymous said...

PD - I'm posting this as evidence that even a new "beta blogger" can comment, after he's done a little head-scratching (choose "other" as your identity). You really can't beat beta speed.