Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Home again, home again

I am back home, after spending a few days back home. That means I am in Indiana right now, after being in Illinois. Tomorrow I will be heading to Ohio for the remainder of the week though. I will mostly be hiding out, trying to learn something and see if there is still a pulse.

It was a good time back home. There is no more beautiful scenery in all the world to me. We slept in my old room at my parents house. We saw some good friends we hadn't seen in awhile, and some good friends we had seen more recently. It's always hot at my parents house though. And the first morning I had to spread manure with a real manure spreader. You know it's a small town when you can drive a manure spreader down the streets. And when we left yesterday the power had went out during a storm during the middle of the night, and it didn't come back on until afternoon. We thought we were going to be stuck there, as we didn't have much gas in the tank, but we finally found out there was a station open 20 miles away.

We ate supper one night at a bar in Tiskilwa, which is a small village that has like 3 or 4 churches on one side of main street, and 3 or 4 bars on the other side (and that's about it). We also had a meal with several of Jane's brothers and some of their kids and grandkids in Kewanee - which is one of the towns we were seriously considering planting a church in about 9 years ago. We visited Jane's brother's cabin he built in the woods. I golfed for the first time in several years. The boyfriend (Drew) beat me (he had a 44), but I was happy with a 51 for nine holes. I always shoot my best on my first time, and get worse after that.

It was a rough trip for Bogie boy. He hadn't made the 5 1/2 hour trip for probably a year or more, and the arthritis in his back legs is much worse than it used to be. He could hardly walk the whole time we were there, and kept falling down. I had to carry him up and down the stairs every night and morning. He seems happy to be back in his usual surroundings.

I have to say, I didn't really like posting stuff ahead of schedule like I did last week. It seemed kind of fake or something. I dunno. I will have the computer next week, but I don't know if I'll post much or not. Not really in the mood at the moment (though I am writing this, I guess). Sometimes it takes my heart longer to return than the rest of me. It will be good to have another off week where I'm 'outta the office.' Lots to do today and tomorrow before I leave though.

Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kewanee. I never knew that. At the time it probably would have excited me but I'm glad you decided to take us to Yoder.

dan said...

Kewanee is the "Hog Capital of the World." It's hard to top that. :)