Thursday, October 02, 2008

September running

During the month of September I ran on the treadmill 22 days; for a total of 100.93 miles (4.6 ave. per day); for 1208 minutes (54.9 ave. per day); and burned 11,852 calories.

I looked back, and during August I ran 22 days for 87.7 miles. So I'm up a little.

Lately I've been doing a little over 5 miles per day on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday I either don't run or just do a mile or two walk. Thursday and Friday I try to do 4 or 5 miles each day. Saturday depends - I might not do anything, or I might do 5. Sundays are for resting.

It's odd, because I still don't really like to run, but I think I've become addicted. My body feels better on days when I run. I don't know if I could do it without a tv though. Normally I watch 'Around The Horn' and 'PTI' on ESPN, and sometimes CNN.

Sometimes I forget just how long it's taken me to get to this point too. For years and years I walked; then we got an exercise bike; and for the first few years of having the treadmill the most I'd ever done was an occasional 3 miles. I don't know when things changed. I suppose it's probably like that with any discipline... even spiritual disciplines like prayer, fasting, Bible reading, etc. It takes a long time of doing them, and then one day without even realizing it, it sort of becomes who you are. Seems like lately I have heard from so many people who don't like how their life is... and they don't know how to change it. People don't want to hear that it takes a long-term commitment to the little things. Plus we don't want to change who we are.

Anyway, this post was supposed to just be a log of my running on the treadmill. Not to brag, but someday I may need a reminder that I did this stuff.