Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The bishop and abortion/capital punishment

I have nothing against the local RC bishop - he may be a nice guy for all I know - but I've been thinking about this all day. Last night he did an "exclusive" interview on the local news about why he is boycotting Notre Dame's graduation ceremony this year. It's because Barack Obama is speaking - even though they apparently have a tradition of asking the President to speak every year. Anyway, in the interview the bishop said he was not going in protest of Obama's stance on abortion. He felt his presence there would mean he approved of it. Then he was asked about attending when George W. Bush spoke there, and how that might conflict with his stance on capital punishment. The bishop said, "You can still be a good catholic and not agree with the church on capital punishment" (I believe those were his exact words). I thought that was odd. I was surprised the bishop would say you could be a "good" catholic, and not agree with the church. Plus the fact that that seems a contradiction with the abortion thing. Not that I think abortion is right; but I don't think capital punishment is right either. And I don't know that I would have boycotted over either one. So, is the bishop setting precedent that anytime someone doesn't agree with the church, then it's ok to boycott?

I dunno. I thought it was an odd interview. And I could be wrong, but personally... he seemed kinda like he was drunk to me.

6 comments:

MR said...

I was going to disagree with you, but after reading the "I'm drinking my own bath water" post, I'm not sure what to put here. :D

I think it's innocent life he's talking about protecting. Because I, personally, see a difference between a new born baby (or less than born) and, say, Ted Bundy.

Jim L said...

Dude, if you're looking for consistency and a lack of hypocrisy among humans, you're missing the boat. That's why Christ came - because we are neither consistent nor non-hypocritical (aka "logical").

To me, it just sounded like a big rationalization. And you've been reading my blog long enough to recognize one of Les's and my favorite lines from "The Big Chill":

Michael: I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex.

Sam Weber: Ah, come on. Nothing's more important than sex.

Michael: Oh yeah? Ever gone a week without a rationalization?

I can't speak for the bishop's sex life, but I bet he doesn't go a week without a rationalization. Then again, neither do I. Neither do you.

Peace out. Peace in. ;)

dan said...

MR,
Sorry, but I wasn't commenting on your views on abortion/capital punishment. I already knew what they were, and, no, we don't agree. :)

So, are you saying that the Roman Catholic Church is in favor of capital punishment (because I didn't think they were), or that Bishop D'arcy is (and he is not in alignment with the church), or that Jim is right?

MR said...

I'm pretty sure they're officially against capital punishment, but, you're right, I was speaking from my own views (which, any that match the Catholic church is pretty much chance). Because I believe there is real evil in the world, and I'm not going to love a serial killer all the more because he needs it more. I support capital punishment, while being against abortion. Which is why I use the word innocent. Anyway, it's good to know that the Catholics will still welcome me. And if the Bishop drinks, heck... we'll get along famously.

MR said...

...but the nuances of each religion really bring up the subject of another hypocrisy. I know religions preach fundamentals like loving your enemy, etc. And that's what I like about the church, it can be a positive example. But really, I can't think of anything more closed-minded than religion. I mean, buying into a religion then saying all the others are wrong without bearing witness to any of it first-hand is just a dismissal of all other brands. I'm wrong about enough stuff that it's very likely I'll be wrong about religion as well. I'm banking on my creator recognizing my flaws (he's got the schematic, he must know I'm not perfect) and not demanding homage from an ignorant sub-species as myself.

This is, again, my humble opinion. Heavy on the humble.

patti said...

I can provide a cogent explanation if you like. Perhaps the time has passed though.