Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Why i blog

I suppose everyone has their own reason for blogging. I was thinking the other day about why I do. I haven't thought this through real well, but I think this is basically it:
  1. There are things I want to remember. For the most part I treat this as a personal journal. It's not as private as a written one, but it's a lot easier to search for items later. The categories also help me when it's time to visit the doctor, or buy shoes, when I last had a vacation, changed guitar strings or microphone batteries, and all sorts of other stuff that just doesn't stay in my mind very well. I find it very helpful in this regard.
  2. There are things I think others might find helpful. I don't claim a huge readership, but I know there are many who read here regularly who rarely or never comment. Which is fine with me. There are times I will run across something, or actually think of or do something myself, and if it can help someone else, then I'm all for that. I like to be helpful. I also know I have a few friends and relatives who read here, and it's a good way to keep you up to date on what's happening in my world (though it's hard, because I've found I can't really talk much about work-related stuff).
  3. This is part of my ministry. Some would argue that I don't push the Bible or theology or Christianity enough for this to be a ministry blog. Some say I push it too much. I don't think it needs to be like that either way. I think it's ministry because of the incarnational quality. Like, "here is my life - the good, the bad, and the ugly - and you're free to learn from it what you will." Not that this is everything about me, and not that I'm always a good example for others, but I'm a fairly shy person, and this is a way for me to "be real" with people.
Eh... there are probably other reasons, but I think that's the gist of it. There have been times I've thought blogging was a way to form community, but I pretty much suck at that. Plus, you know, I don't think most people take anything I say too seriously. That's kinda discouraging to me. Originally I thought I would use the blog as a way for me to work through my own "stuff", but... criticism has pretty much won out on that, and I find it hard to really do that anymore. So... whatever. It is what it is.

2 comments:

ben said...

dan...keep up the journal...you are more of a wordsmith than you think...i jump about once a week to your site and find great insight in your look at things...i also enjoy the links to other sites as well that spur my thinking...so if you were in a battle as to whether to continue, my hand just went up...thanks, tim atkins

dan said...

Thanks Tim.