Friday, May 29, 2009

Truth but not necessarily fact

My son says of his blog that it is "truth but not necessarily fact." I like that. And, while I am not sure he means it in the same way that I do, I think that has always been a major point in my blog writing too. I write things that I truly do think and feel, but just because I think or feel them doesn't mean it's factual. For instance, if I say that I feel like I'm all alone and that I don't fit in with anyone - that truly is how I feel. However, the fact is, I know that's not really the case. I do have friends, and some very good ones. But it doesn't always change how I feel.

And while I was thinking about this, it occurred to me that much of my preaching might actually be the opposite. Often I will preach from facts that I know to be true about God and Jesus, even though I wrestle with the truth of them in my life. Like, I know God loves and accepts me; but sometimes I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that and I don't feel loved and accepted. I think that's a lot of what faith is: it's learning to trust the facts that we know to be true even when we might be tempted to let our doubts win out.

Anyway, I thought that was a very perceptive little statement the boy made. In my case, my blog has always been a place to just lay down my feelings - not necessarily the facts. For those who only know me through this blog, it might seem like I am a somewhat dark, negative, malcontent type of soul. Well, and I am. A little. But it's not all of me.

Other than that... well... you know... I dunno.

Peace out; and in.