Monday, June 08, 2009

Nearly dead in deadwood

I am sitting in a corner room in a hotel in Deadwood, South Dakota. I left my sister's hometown in in Minnesota at 8 this morning, dropped our kids off at the Minneapolis airport, and lady Jane and I drove south and then west for something like 13 hours. It rained for the first many hours, then it was cloudy but dry, then a bit sunny and clear, and then just as we headed into the Black Hills it turned cloudy again. The hills were a bit haunting to me in my driving-tired state. I feel like we're down in a hole. And there are freaking slot machines in every window. I had no idea. Some guy stopped us on the street and said, "Hey man, you just missed like 60 bats flying over." He was drunk as a skunk and happy as all get-out. We had just stuffed ourselves on hamburgers because we were starved from the highway and don't have a clue what we're doing here. But right now the bed is calling, and tomorrow will be a new day. We will see some sites and visit with some new friends. More later.

peace out; and in.