Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The soloist

Last night Jane and I went to the $3 theater and watched The Soloist. We had been waiting for this movie to come out for a long time based on the previews we had seen. It seemed like it took forever. Then, when it did come out, it didn't seem to be in theaters very long. Apparently it didn't get very good reviews. But, man, I thought this was a very powerful movie. And it has a very good message too (though it would never be classified a "christian" movie).

I'd also heard an interview with the real-life reporter from the show. I thought Robert Downey Jr. did a nice job. And I've always had a thing for Catherine Keener.

Too many of us just want to 'fix' things, or we want to take a pill, or just set things 'right.' People usually can't be 'fixed.' What people need are 'friends.' We need each other. And we need each other to be patient, and kind, and loving, and to just be there with us - through the good and the bad.

I know that's what I need. I can be a real jerk, and I need people willing to forgive me, and accept me, and love me in spite of myself. And I need to be that kind of friend to others. I'm not usually very good at it.

There were honestly some parts in this movie that scared me. Some of the homeless people seem all too "normal."

I don't really have any coherent thoughts... but I just thought this was a really powerful movie. I highly recommend it.

No comments: